<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 01, 2004

Christ has Appeal 

Box Office Mojo > All Time Box Office > Opening Weekends

'The Passion of the Christ' is #7 in the rankings for largest opening weekend for a movie, ahead of the likes of Return of the King (#9) [it opened on a Wednesday, so was hindered], and behind movies such as Spider Man (#1), The Matrix Reloaded (#2), two Harry Potter movies (#3 and #4), X2:X-Men United (#5), and Star Wars Attack of the Clones (#6).

What's interesting about this fact is that the market that is going out to see this movie is a market that is largely untapped by most mainstream Hollywood fair, as the major media has been reporting. My hope is that this will motivate studious to underwrite more movies that are willing to move beyond the formulaic tripe that we are subjected to year after year (New Line was rewarded for a lesser such gamble with the probable two billion dollars it will make from the LotRs movies).

I have yet to see "The Passion of the Christ", but the Christians that I have spoken to have enjoyed the film. It is undoubtedly one that requires knowledge and faith in Christianity to appreciate wholly. I expect that I will find it quite powerful and moving. I'll be sure to let you know after I see it if my expectations hold true.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?