<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Speeches: Give me Fire! UPDATED 

Here's the text of Zell's speech, and the text of Cheney's speech.

I wish American politics had more of the flavor that it used to. I want more speeches like Zell Miller's. I want more 'Cross of Gold'-style speeches. Alas, I won't get my wish, since people want politicians to be sensitive.

Too bad. Zell was great.

UPDATE: Here's some thoughts on the interviews Zell had after his speech.

Also, Mr. Glenn Reynolds reports that Jennings and Stephanopoulos looked unhappy. I guess that means that the speeches weren't so bad for Republican chances=)

Another UPDATE: Jonah Goldberg says the following about Zell: "But man-o-man-o-shevitz. Kerry must have smashed a bottle of chablis against the wall after hearing that."

Heh and Indeed all at once.

Here's also my favorite lines: After listing the weapons systems Kerry voted to kill, Zell had the following slam: "This is the man who wants to be the Commander in Chief of our U.S. Armed Forces? U.S. forces armed with what? Spitballs?"

Also: "
I first got to know George Bush when we served as governors together. I admire this man. I am moved by the respect he shows the first lady, his unabashed love for his parents and his daughters, and the fact that he is unashamed of his belief that God is not indifferent to America."

A great way of merging patriotism and faith. I agree with his sentiments wholeheartedly.

A third UPDATE: Here's some great lines from Zell's speech and some feedback from Zell and the pundits. A notable one is Zell challenging Chris Mathews to a duel.

A fourth UPDATE: Well, Political Animal has given me some political fire. And I think his anger probably reflects how rhetorically devestating Zell's speech was.

A fifth UPDATE: David Adesnik writes very favorably of Cheney's speech and calls it "Presidential". He, however, calls Zell "pathetic". He points out that there was loud cheering to the "lie" that Zell said that Kerry would let Paris decide American foreign policy. True, it's not word for word correct. But it's a rhetorically just point, that Kerry wants to listen to Paris' opinion. Such lines used to be par for the course in politics. They're clever, they're biting, and they're rhetorically strong. Hence the crowd's response.

I think it's important to understand that one can make a legitimate rhetorical point through exageration, satire, irony. I want that back in political speech. More William Jennings Bryan and less Bill Clinton.

A Sixth UPDATE: Here a video of Zell's speech.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?