<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Numeracy versus Literacy 

Rand Simberg ponders why it's acceptable for many educated people to have no understanding of math, but a similar disdain for reading is abhored.

I think the answer to that question is quite simple: an ability to read competently is a skill that is exercised much more regularly than knowledge of advanced mathematics, at least in everyday life. I used to know how to do calculus, got a 5 on the AP test, a in a calculus class that had proofs in it, etc, but I don't remember how to do much of it now. Why? Because I don't use it regularly. Not because I hated match--I found it interesting in fact--but because I just don't have much use for derivatives and integrals, let alone proofs of such concepts, in my everyday life and studies as an history major.

I still understand the broad concepts that I learned in a general sense, and when I see mathematical notation I can work out a basic understanding. However, expecting much more than that from those of us that don't use math everday as part of our studies our living is unfair. Advanced mathematical knowledge is specialized knowledge. It'd be like expecting a mathematician to have a detailed knowledge of the Roman Empire or Victorian Britain for example. They might, but such knowledge would be something that they would more likely not have because it's not something they involve themselvs in every day.

Basic math and reading are both essential. However, since speech is related more closely to writing than it is to math, and we speak every day, that explains why reading is valued more than math. Good reading skills mean a better understanding of the spoken and written word, and thus better skills at understanding the world and not being taken or lead by it.

The dropoff point for the use of advanced math skills seems to be earlier than that of reading skills. Arithmetic, basic algebra, trig, and calc are all you really need in most circumstances. The ability to read complex documents and decipher arguments seems to be much more useful.

Of course, I am obviously biased, because reading is what I do most of my time. Thoughts?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?