<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Quote of the Day and more... 

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
- Plato*

*This attribution may be be false, as this link explains.

I quote this because I watched "Black Hawk Down" tonight with my girlfriend; the above quotation appears at the beginning of the film. I'm glad I watched the movie; every time I see the film it leaves me lost in my own thoughts once it's over. It is a profound work in my opinion.

The movie is so elegant for a couple of reasons. The first is the breathtaking cinematography. Not only is the action well-filmed, almost every shot is absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful, deep blacks and bright, breathtaking colors. The second is that it is a very simple film. It doesn't try to take issue with the politics surrounding the battle of Modadishu. It simply chronicles the events of the battle and explains them with the simple theme 'leave no one behind'. It's about the brotherhood of war, and war itself. It's about the heroism and courage of soldiers, and not any one soldier himself.

I hadn't seen the film for a few years, but it's given me renewed appreciation for the sacrifice that our forces have sustained during their operations on the United States' behalf in the world in recent years.

There's something about thoughtless bravery that just leaves me in awe, and this film portrays this perfectly. Watching "Black Hawk Down" leaves me wishing that I could be as those soldiers were and are, and hoping that if called I may be able to be so.

God bless the brave soldier.

Comments:
Black Hawk down is a powerful film, and I think that the feelings you are expressing are common among viewers of the film. Myself, I found the soundtrack to be among the most powerful aspects of the film, blending regional stylings with orchestral minstrations to form a seamless blend that seems like it sprung out of the film, a product of the artistic vision that already pervades. I think you may be off the mark with your comment on "thoughtless" bravery however. To me, the actions of the soldiers was the very essence of thoughtful, in that they were well aware of the consequences and potential outcomes of the situation (reference the willingness of the sniper to go to his fellows aide, knowing that it would likely result in his death). The soldiers were perhaps to aware that the lives of more than themselves were on the line in the actions of the day. It is again unfortunate that the Clinton administration could not see the value of the lives lost, as they would soon pull out US forces...
 
Hmmm...I think you're right in saying that at some times the soldiers are thoughtful. However, there's a moment in the film where one of the Deltas tells Josh Hartnett's character to stop thinking--thinking about how his actions lead to people getting killed--and just keep doing his job. That's what I meant by thoughtless. If one considers the risk of running at someone shooting at you, one will be paralyzed with fear. The reason we train soldiers is so that they can not think, but just do. This is quite brave, and in a sense thoughtful, but in the moments of action, I think a soldier does better to do and think later.

And you're right, I remember thinking I should mention the soundtrack. I find it to be amazing. The main them is really touching, and the regional music is just really, really cool.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?