<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 29, 2005

This makes me want to cry 

And I don’t normally grow melancholy when I read statistics…  Literacy levels among college graduates have sharply declined over the last ten years, according to the study cited in this article.  ‘Read and extrapolate from complex texts’ is the skill only 30% of graduates have.

Geeze, I do that for fun.  I whip out the Brothers Karamazov and Machiavelli, for example, and read and write about them because I like to, and know that doing so makes me more intelligent (and not to mention will improve the skills I need to be a professional historian).  So, according to this, I can only relate to about a quarter of the people in the US, and the rest will be clueless about why thinking is fun.  Sickening, this is…    

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?